It’s a busy marketplace out there, and trying to find the right fit for your eLearning needs can be complicated. We get it. That’s why we’ve gathered a list of the top eight places to get off-the-shelf eLearning modules and explain their features, benefits, and costs.
First, let’s break down exactly what off-the-shelf eLearning courses are, the difference between off-the-shelf and custom courses, and when it makes sense to use each.
What are off-the-shelf eLearning modules?
Off-the-shelf eLearning modules are courses that have been pre-designed and are available for purchase to the masses on a particular subject. You may have come across or even taken an off-the-shelf learning course at some point in your career.
You will most likely find these types of courses in organizations where education for a team is needed on a breadth of common topics, whether for industry knowledge, soft skill development, or compliance.
They are particularly useful for organizations with large workforces who need to train teams and departments on a variety of specific topics as well as smaller businesses who don’t have the budget to create custom eLearning courses for their team.
Need ready-to-go courses that look + feel custom? We’ve got you covered!
Save time and cost with our off-the-shelf courses — they’re as close to custom as you can get.
Off-the-shelf versus custom content
The primary difference between off-the-shelf courses and custom courses is that off-the-shelf is all set to go! There is no waiting on curriculum design, course development, or beta testing.
Just click, purchase, and upload to your Learning Management System (LMS).
Custom courses allow an organization complete flexibility and say over the content, design, and branding of their course. This is a great option for organizations who have very specific training needs and want a course that’s on brand for their organization.
If your organization has a very specific sales methodology, then you may want to consider working with a performance partner to consult, develop, and build custom courses.
8 of the best off-the-shelf eLearning marketplaces
OpenSesame is one of the most trusted providers in the marketplace for on-demand learning courses, with 20,000+ courses from leading publishers available for download instantly. They make buying and selling eLearning courses as easy as downloading a song from iTunes.
With OpenSesame you can preview courses, read reviews and research sellers in their marketplace, buy courses with no subscriptions or long-term commitments, and use them instantly in any LMS. They do the heavy lifting so you can focus on choosing the best courses for your team.
Open Sesame is best for:
- LMS integration – All you have to do is use the LMS you currently employ.
- Flexible licensing – Open Sesame’s flexible licensing allows companies to subscribe for unlimited access to the most popular courses through OpenSesame Plus or purchase only the courses they need.
- Curation support – OpenSesame’s team of eLearning advisors are ready to help customers curate content that meets the needs of your learners and your organization.
Yes, you read that right — our very own off-the-shelf eLearning courses! While Maestro is best known for strategic, custom learning solutions, we also get that in some cases, off-the-shelf content meets our partner’s needs and provides both time and cost efficiencies. Ultimately, we’re here to serve you, so you can empower your end learners.
So, we created an off-the-shelf course library with topics that range from healthcare compliance to everyday wellbeing. And we are constantly adding more courses based on your needs (seriously, tell us if you need another topic). Maestro’s off-the-shelf courses combine incredible designs with the science of how people learn—the fundamentals we apply to custom learning. With our off-the-shelf eLearning, we have the option to translate, brand, and customize, if needed.
Maestro is best for:
- High-quality visual design and the newest learning technology.
- Simple processes for translating, branding, and/or customizing courses.
- Fantastic customer service – Talk to real humans (that care) to solve your course needs.
3. LinkedIn Learning
Lynda.com, now a LinkedIn company, is an online learning company that helps anyone learn business.
LinkedIn Learning, previously Lynda.com, offers individual, government, corporate, and academic subscriptions that offer members video courses taught by industry experts. Their library of content includes over 16,000 courses covering business, technology, and creative topics available on both mobile and desktop!
LinkedIn was founded in 2003 and is helping over half a billion members worldwide achieve more in their careers by making connections, discovering opportunities, and gaining insights through professional networking. And with LinkedIn’s global reach, they get to make a direct impact on the world’s workforce in ways not many other companies can.
LinkedIn Learning is best for:
- Learner-led continuing education.
- Courses in web development, software development, design, and marketing.
- Pre-built learning paths.
Udemy is an open online course provider that boasts over 150,000 courses from 70,000+ instructors in 65+ languages. Their library of topics spans a global audience and touches on a broad range of topics from health and fitness, the arts, programming, and business skills. Courses on Udemy can be either paid or free depending entirely on the instructor. Udemy is unique in that its platform is built to allow instructors to build online courses using their development tools – including videos, powerpoints, and live discussion boards.
Udemy for Business, one of their latest ventures, their subscription based model, enables businesses to access a targeted suite of 7,000+ courses. Through Udemy for Business, organizations can create custom learning portals for corporate training.
Udemy is best known for:
- Global companies – With 65+ languages and instructors all over the world, Udemy certainly has a lens for global business.
- Mobile learning – Udemy offers an app for Apple iOS and Android; more than 20% of their learners access training via mobile devices.
- Industry-leading experts – Udemy’s course instructors include bestselling authors, award-winning professors, and industry experts spanning multiple disciplines.
Go1 offers a massive curated eLearning library made available for a single subscription price to use either within your existing LMS or using theirs. Currently offering 100,000 resources and continued investment in growing their library with quality content from industry leading learning providers.
Go1’s content curation team works with its partners to identify their unique training requirements and ensure the best recommendations are presented to you and your learners based on those priorities. Their current offering falls into four primary categories: business skills, personal development, safety and compliance, and technology skills.
Go1 is best known for:
- Content curation – Not only is Go1’s Content Hub an easy tool to roll training out but Go1’s learning partners helping you curate the right content for your business without sacrificing on quality or quantity.
- Integrations – Don’t need another system to deliver learning? Not a problem. Go1 Content Hub is already available in hundreds of existing systems.
- Quality content – Go1 is selective about their learning partners and ensures content creators uphold the level of quality that Go1 requires before making it available to learners.
BizLibrary offers off-the-shelf learning in a variety of content formats from microlearning videos to lengthier, in-depth, and interactive eLearning courses and video programs. Their award-winning online training library contains more than 6,000 micro-video lessons, video courses, interactive videos, and eLearning courses covering a wide variety of topic areas and includes additional support materials to further increase learning retention.
BizLibrary’s learning technology platform is powerful and easy to use. And all of their online training solutions are mobile-ready, allowing learners unlimited access to training content on any device, anytime and anywhere for true just-in-time learning.
BizLibrary is best for:
- Training delivered through video.
- Accredited content.
- Additional support materials such as handouts and quizzes to increase knowledge retention on the ROI for training.
Skillsoft is a trusted industry partner that provides innovative and cloud-based off-the-shelf modules for learning and performance support. Their team will work with clients to define strategy, competency mapping, and ROI maximization. Skillsoft trains more professionals than any other company and is trusted by the world’s leading organizations, including 65% of the Fortune 500.
And just like us, Skillsoft is on a mission to build beautiful technology and engaging content. Their library includes 165,000+ courses, videos, and books and is accessed more than 130 million times every month across 160 countries and 29 languages—all with 100% cloud access anytime and anywhere.
Skillsoft is best for:
- Breadth of content – They have over 7,000 courses and 65,000 videos.
- Business skills and leadership, IT skills and certification, and digital skills and compliance.
- Choice of delivery options from interactive courses, enlightening videos, and practical simulations.
PluralSight is a subscription-based eLearning service that focuses on technology skill development. The company makes eLearning accessible, offering different plans for the personal or business budget. With over 700,000 users, PluralSight is on the rise as a cloud-based IT eLearning provider.
Their course library consists of over 6,000 courses from a network of 1,350 authors ranging from web and game design to CAD software to project management—and everything in between. And with new courses added every month, the monthly or annual subscription is even more worthwhile.
PluralSight is best for:
- Enterprise and individual use.
- Diverse eLearning courses across topics of technology.
- Continual use thanks to a constantly expanding library of courses with the most up-to-date information.
Get started and get growing today
While there is almost an unlimited number of off-the-shelf course providers on the market today, finding the one that fits your learners’ exact needs can be tricky. We recommend building out a list of all the needs and goals you’re looking to meet. From there, pick out the top three to five providers that meet those needs and set up free trials of their courses and content.
There is no better way to see if something fits than trying it on for size!
Still looking for the right place for off-the-shelf eLearning??
Don’t compromise on quality!!Check out our courses!